Translate

Thursday 21 March 2013

Renault Clio 1.1 16V Dynamique Review


Make: Renault
Model: Clio
Year: 2002
Mileage: 110000
Engine size: 1.1 16v
Colour: Metallic Black
Specification: Dynamique







Bits I really like: The first thing that struck me when I laid my hand on this beauty of a car is how incredibly well 'speced' it is and how good it actually looks! In-dash computer (mpg, average speed, miles left on tank, etc), front fog lights, steering wheel controls for the stereo, electric heated door mirrors, and about a million (4) airbags to name but a few. As for the engine, it's a corker... Surprisingly gutsy considering it's only a 1149cc and will get you to 60 in around 13 seconds, but feels a lot quicker due to the 16 valves. As a result of the small capacity, it makes the insurance just about affordable for first time drivers with it only being group 3. Therefore, I would have to reccomend this engine for younger drivers who do enjoy a slight power advantage over similar cars. I recently took mine up to Birmingham from sunny South Devon, a round-trip of about 350 miles, which it took in its stride. I wasn't exactly going slow either averaging a decent 80-85 whilst still returning a remarkable 45 mpg (what the computer said!). Although the Clio isn't built for trawling up and down the motorways, it really is not out of its comfort zone as the engine is very quiet at 4000rpm and the wind noise is just about acceptable. Adding this to the quite simple amazing seats in the front, this makes the Clio a wise choice if you need to do some motorway stints. Talking about the seats, the interior is adequatly spacious with enough room for 3 in the back thanks to its 3x 3 point rear seatbelts. I find the Clio a lovely car to drive with its short snappy gear changes and it feels as though it's on rails through the corners!! (Admitantly it is unnerved by standing water and mud on the road... The ABS pump is constantly whirring away due to the lack of weight over the front wheels, so don't be shocked by the loud noise under sudden braking!) Just to top the list, the standard stereo and speakers are suficient to please any a boy racer about town too!
Bits I don’t really like: If you're expecting a quick car, please look elsewhere or get a Clio with a bigger engine... It will never set the world alight!! Secondly, the reliability is typical of Renault and mine is a prime example of this. I recently got a letter from Renault asking me to take my car to a service department to get my bonnet catch looked at. Later that day I got a bill for £60 for a new release catch... Not good enough in my books as I would have thought things like that would be covered under warranty?? Also, cold mornings prove a bug bear for the Clio and you have to sit there turning it over and over before you can breath life into the poor things... Must be getting a bit arthritic after 11 years and those 110000 miles!  Finally, mine succombed to the old leaky sunroof, another £125 bill to get that fixed. Again was not happy! However, other than the points above, I can't complain anymore about it.
Final verdict: Overall, I have enjoyed my time as a Clio driver, and I will miss it when I move onto a Volkswagen Bora in the coming weeks. The simply huge number of gadgets you get is a massive pull over competitors and you shouldn't let the downsides I have shadow your decision... The Renault Clio is a brilliant little car and should be heavily considered when looking for a first time car.

No comments:

Post a Comment