Translate

Thursday 4 July 2013

Volkswagen Passat SE 1.9 TDi 105ps

Make: Volkswagen
Model: Passat Saloon
Year: 2006
Mileage: 79'000
Engine size: 1.9 TDi 105ps
Colour: Blue
Specification: SE

The 'eco' diesel in the Passat family is actually not a bad choice as you get all the niceties of the bigger more powerful versions but with the fuel economy of a hybrid Toyota Prius. This particular model came with an electric sunroof, electric drivers seat and front&rear parking sensors. All this came in at an interesting £4500 at a local garage in South Devon.

I was a bit unsure about the lack of power when I first got into this measly 105ps diesel, and I'm sorry to say that my preconceptions were right. Taking the best part of 12s to get to 62mph, it will always feel sluggish without the normal diesel ability to overtake. Having only a 5speed manual gearbox, motorway cruising can become tiresome over long distances as the engine feels pushed when going over 65mph, although the benefit of this is amazing fuel economy. I have achieved in the region of 55+mpg on a run up the M5. I really feel that this car is not a drivers car as it lacks the performance to go with the surprising handling and ride. Therefore, I would choose the 2.0 TDi 140ps over this engine as there is a better balance between fuel economy and power.

As for the exterior, it is the usual Germanic styling with a slight twist. The saloon is actually a very good looking car and I love the rear light clusters with their LED lights. The chrome trims on this SE really set the car off further. As will all VW's of this period, the Passat has the iconic chrome front grill that looks very pretty.

Going on to the interior, the dashboard is a wash with high quality plastics and metals. This SE comes with an electric drivers seat, cruise control and a good sounding stereo. I think this is the pick of the bunch in terms of spec. as it gives you all the gadgets you need to impress down the pub, but is more affordable than the pricey Sport. In the rear, it becomes more crampt than the larger estate due to the sloping roof line. However, there is still room to seat 3 slightly slender adults or 2 more comfortably. With respect for the boot, its massive again. You can actually fit 2 grown men in there... Yes, I have tried!!! The aperture to get things in and out is smaller than you would expect, so can be a bit of a hassle to get bulky items in and out of the boot.

Overall, this Passat should be considered if fuel economy is of great importance to you. If not, opt for the more rapid 2.0 TDi 140ps, a far more refined engine. I am actually looking at a saloon Passat for my next car as I love them so much, so if you find any nice ones, let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment